|The town of Franklin was founded
in the spring of 1860 by Mormon pioneers moving north through
the Cache Valley of Utah. Sixty-one families built small cabins
along the Cub River (at that time called the Muddy River)
and commenced farming.
fanned out to establish new communities in northern Cache
Valley. These early pioneers believed they were still in
Utah, and not until 1872 did an official boundary survey
fix the Idaho-Utah border a mile south of where Franklin
a typical Utah pattern, the first settlers laid out wide
streets and held a drawing to distribute town and farm lots.
Town lots were large enough to accommodate a garden, barn,
and outbuildings. Space was reserved for a central square
-- which today is the Franklin City Park, located south
of the State of Idaho properties for which the Idaho State
Historical Society is responsible.
Relic Hall is open to the public from Memorial Day
through Labor Day and at other times by appointment. The
Franklin Cooperative Mercantile Building, which primarily
houses Mormon history of a local and denominational nature,
is open periodically, mostly by appointment. The Hatch House
The Hatch House
1872, Lorenzo Hill Hatch built his elegant stone house on
one of Franklin's largest lots on Main Street, across from
the city square. Hatch was the town's temporal and spiritual
leader from 1863 to 1875. He was the second Mormon bishop
and the first mayor of Franklin. He was also the first Mormon
legislator in Idaho.
stone Greek Revival style of the house was popular in Utah
in the 1870s and the structure was occupied by descendants
of Bishop Hatch until the 1940s. It was acquired by the
Historical Society in 1979.When ownership of the house was
assumed by the State of Idaho, the ground floor had been
completely gutted by the previous owner. Extensive modifications
had been made to the ground floor, which was raised approximately
seven inches, and all interior walls were removed. The house
is still in that condition.
second story survives with little modification and could
be restored to an 1870-80s appearance in the future. A 1910
addition, made of a hard yellow brick, housed a new kitchen
and pantry, later altered to a bathroom. This section of
the house has been altered by the previous owner.
Relic Hall Interior
1923 the Franklin Pioneer Association bought the old Franklin
Cooperative Mercantile Building, located on Main Street
one block east ofU.S. Highway 91, to use as a museum. After
running out of room in that facility, the Association deeded
a building lot to the State of Idaho located adjacent to
and west of the Mercantile Building, hoping that a new building
would be constructed on the site.
The legislature appropriated funds for construction of a
rustic log hall, which was built in 1936-37 from timber
provided by the Forest Service and labor by Civilian Conservation
Corps crews. The Idaho State Historical Society has been
responsible for maintaining the Relic Hall building since
Cooperative Mercantile Building
on this page has been borrowed from Idaho State
Historical Society until we can create our own information.